Use the Windows XP startup error message "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or damaged: \ WINDOWS \ SYSTEM32 \ CONFIG \ SYSTEM" to resolve the issue.
About The Error "\ WINDOWS \ SYSTEM32 \ CONFIG \ SYSTEM Is Missing Or Damaged"
The following information about this error has been compiled by NeoSmart Technologies based on information collected and provided by our global network of engineers, developers and technicians or partner organizations.
Description And Symptoms
The following error messages, warnings, warnings, and symptoms are associated with this error.
Symptom 1: \ Windows \ System32 \ Config \ System missing or corrupted startup error screen
The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores low-level settings for the Microsoft Windows operating system and applications that choose to use the registry. When the computer boots up, Windows tries to access the registry, h To get the boot parameters. However, if the registry is corrupted, it will stop loading and display the following error screen.
Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or damaged: \ windows \ system32 \ config \ SYSTEM You can try to repair this file by running Windows Setup from the original installation CD. Select "r" on the first screen to start repairing.
Please note that the exact error message may differ depending on how the registry was corrupted. All the various error messages associated with this error are listed below:
Windows XP cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \ WINDOWS \ SYSTEM32 \ CONFIG \ SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218: registrycannot load hive (file): \ SystemRoot \ System32 \ Config \ SOFTWARE, its protocol or alternative.
System error: Lsass.exe When trying to update a password, the return status indicates that the value specified for the current password is invalid.
Windows does not start. This could be due to a recent hardware or software modification. To solve the problem: 1. Insert the Windows installation CD and restart your computer. 2. Select your language settings and click Next. 3. Click "Repair your computer". If you do not have this CD, please contact See your system administrator or computer manufacturer. File: \ Windows \ System32 \ config \ system Status: 0xc000000f Information: Windows could not be loaded due to missing or damaged registry file.
Reasons For This Error
We know this error occurs for the following reasons:
Reason 1. Windows registry is corrupted
The Windows registry can be corrupted for a variety of reasons, including virus attack, power failure, hard disk errors, or user error while manually tweaking the registry.
Fix "\ WINDOWS \ SYSTEM32 \ CONFIG \ SYSTEM Missing Or Damaged" On Windows
Windows installation CD / DVD required!
Some of the following solutions require you to use a Microsoft Windows installation CD or DVD. If your computer does not have the Windows installation CD or you no longer have the Windows installation media, you can use Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows. EasyRE will find and fix many problems automatically, and can also be used to fix the problem with the instructions below.
Fix # 1: Repairing A Damaged RegistryEasy Recovery Essentials
Easy Recovery Essentials can automatically fix many of these errors with its built-in auto-fix feature. EasyRE is currently available for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 and can be downloaded and created on any PC.
- Download Easy Recovery Essentials. Make sure to write down your Windows version (XP, Vista, 7 or 8) before downloading EasyRE. You can use this guide to find out what version of Windows you have installed.
- Capture image. Follow these instructions to burn a bootable ISO very carefully, as creating a bootable CD can be difficult! In addition, these instructions will explain how to create a bootable USB or EasyRE recovery USB.
- Boot your computer from the Easy Recovery Essentials CD or USB drive you created.
- If EasyRE is running, select the Automatic Repair option and click Next .
In Easy Recovery Essentials, select Automatic Recovery.
- After EasyRE scans the disks on your computer, op Divide the letter of the drive where Windows is installed and select it from the list. Then click the Automatic Repair button to start.
Select the drive connected to the Windows installation you want to recover.
Easy Recovery Essentials scans the selected drive for problems. EasyRE automatically checks and tries to fix hard disk, partition, boot sector, file system, bootloader and registry errors. No intervention is required because EasyRE repair is fully automated:
Easy Recovery Essentials checks for errors and patches the selected Windows installation.
- After the completion of the process, EasyRE will report the results. Click the Restart button to restart your computer and check the changes.
- The error "\ WINDOWS \ SYSTEM32 \ CONFIG \ SYSTEM is missing or damaged" should now be resolved when your computer starts to boot:
Windows started successfully.
You can download Easy Recovery Essentials here.
Fix # 2: Restart Your Computer With Last Known Good Configuration
Restarting the computer in Last Known Good Configuration mode forces the computer to use a saved version of the Windows registry that existed when the computer was last successfully started. This should fix any registry startup errors, assuming the most recent registry backup is available and in good condition.
Follow these steps to return your computer to a previous state:
- Restart your computer.
- Wait for BIOS to complete POST (screen with manufacturer logo and / or system information).
- Press F8 quickly several times until a list of boot options appears.
- Select Last Known Good Configuration (Extended)
- Press Enter and wait for the PC to start.
Here is an example of a Windows Advanced Boot Options menu with Last Known Good Configuration:
- config systemprofile desktop
- config system
- windows registry backup
- regback folder
- restore registry
- windows failed
- command prompt
- corrupt registry
- Bad System Config Info Error Windows 8
- Error Loading C Windows System32 Oobefldr Dll
- Linux Kernel Config Options
- C Error Msvcr71.dll System32 Window
- System32 System File Missing
- System Restore Cannot Restore Date
- Do Complete Restore Windows 7
- Restore Windows From Wim File
- How To Restore Recycle Bin In Windows
- Bkf File Restore Windows Vista